How to Enter
This award has been designed to celebrate science writing that educates and inspires science learners of all ages. The award will initially be presented at our prestigious annual conference which will raise the profile of science publishing and showcase the best authors to our members and non-members.
As part of the award, we will continue to promote the winning entry and shortlist to our extensive network. This includes teachers, technicians, education consultants, science advisors and researchers in schools and universities both within the UK and overseas.
Please note that we are no longer accepting entries for the 2016 award. We are currently undertaking the review process and expect to contact publishers in September 2016 with the results. Thanks to all those who made submissions. More information about the 2017 award will be made available on this page
How to Enter
There is no limit of the nature of the title being submitted, whether a popular science book or an educational resource. The review panel will be looking for books that are engaging, accessible and high quality. Each title will be evaluated by an expert, independent review panel.
Criteria for title submission:
- The science content has to be accurate
- Considered useful to teachers of science
- Published in the period from 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016
- Books must be submitted in the English Language
- You are able to grant permission for ASE to resell this title (subject to terms)
Both the online submission form and the books must arrive by Friday 1 July 2016.
Please contact Karen Dyer from our Publications Team if you have any further questions email@example.com
Each book entered must be submitted by the book’s publisher by Friday 1 July 2016. For each book you are entering you will need to:
- Complete an online entry form for each title
We will then require four copies of the title entered to be read by our Review Panel. Please post these to
Karen Dyer, The Association for Science Education, College Lane, Hatfield, Herts AL10 9AA.
- The Panel's decision on the eligibility of an entry is final.
- There is no restriction on the location of publishers. There are no restrictions on the nationality, age or any other characteristic of the author/s.
- The Panel would prefer entries to be paper-based although electronic book submissions will be considered.
- Publishers may submit up to 5 entries.
- There is no charge to enter.
- The author/s of the book are the recipient of the award.
- Books must be submitted by the publisher and any submission will be taken as agreement for the work to be considered.
- The publishers must be able to give the ASE permission to sell the title through their online bookshop and at events; terms and conditions to be agreed.
- The review panel is appointed by the ASE.
- In the event of a book being shortlisted for the Award, publishers agree that they will supply a book synopsis, author biography, photograph of the author and book cover (licensed for royalty-free use and distribution).
- The winning authors should be able to participate at the ASE Annual Conference 2017 at the University of Reading on Friday 6th January.
- Publishers will be allowed to acknowledge the Award in subsequent reprints, editions and marketing of shortlisted and winning books.