Subsidise your ASE subscription!
Claim back your tax relief now. It is worth 20% to a basic rate taxpayer. Many ASE members do not claim the Income Tax relief on their ASE subscriptions to which they are entitled. If you have not claimed previously, you may be able to make a claim going back for the last six years! The Membership Team at HQ will be happy to help with any queries.
How the system works - Tax relief for professional fees and subscriptions
As an employee you may be able to reduce your tax bill by getting tax relief on any professional fees and subscriptions you pay. You can go back several years to get the relief – the time you have depends on whether you have previously sent in a Self Assessment tax return.
When you can get tax relief for professional fees and subscriptions
It may be that in order to do your job you need to have your name included on a professional register or to have a special licence. Or it could be that it is very helpful to belong to an organisation whose activities are necessary to your work. Either way, you will pay registration fees or membership subscriptions – usually annually. You may be able to deduct the cost of these from your taxable income and reduce the amount of tax you pay.You may get tax relief on professional fees and subscriptions if:
- you have registered, obtained a licence or become a member of the organisation in question, because it is necessary to your work
- HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has approved the organisation of which you are a member (check the list of HMRC approved organisations)
When you are not entitled to tax relief
- You cannot get tax relief on any fees and subscriptions that you pay to an organisation that HMRC has not approved.
- You will not be entitled to tax relief on a life membership subscription
- If you have not paid for the allowable professional fees and subscriptions yourself; for example, if your employer has paid them and has agreed a 'dispensation' with HMRC
More information, including details of how to access the lists held by HMRC, is available from the Membership team at ASE Headquarters on 01707 283000 or email@example.com.