#ASEchat 117 “If you and your students could work on any project, what would it be?”
Monday 9th September 2013 with @cleverfiend
There was a lot of chat and I have teased out the ideas that can be taken away below. As with any of the chats a full transcript is available from the ASEchat page (my copy is here)
Significant points and top tweets
- Viciascience suggested OPAL type activities where students could contribute data to a genuine survey or investigation. Gregtheseal agreed he would like to do a biodiversity survey of the school site.
- Mr_D_Cheng would love to get down to food tech and do something that students experience with all their senses (or beer/wine making for sixth formers). Sourdough came up as another suggestion
- DrBiol suggested growing chilli plants and testing the strength of the peppers. Other participants liked this idea (and several chatters came up with ways of testing the capsaicin content)
- Cleverfiend said he had tested carrier bags and food bags but they had turned out to be much stronger than expected!
- Mrgpg said that during his PGCE he had investigated “Do birds poo more on blue cars than any other colours?”
- Mrgpg also felt it was important to distinguish between practical skills and experimentation!
- Gregtheseal asked if there were any good apps that could be used to aid identification in the field.