Professional issues are often covered in ITT courses at a general cross-curriculum level, either by professional studies tutors centrally, or by 'training managers' in school. However most of these issues need to be covered by science tutors to look at the specific requirements relating to teaching science. Again much of this will be covered in school by the 'subject mentor' or class teacher, but there is plenty, too, that can be usefully covered in central sessions by the science tutor.
The Professional Issues tab leads to support material and ideas for running sessions that can be used with trainee teachers.
Within each unit you will find links to other support materials, such as the National Strategies for science. You will also find that issues are related generically across the ages ranges, but where issues apply to a limited range of Key stages (or to the foundation stage) this will be indicated.
- P1.1 Ethnicity and Gender Issues in Science
- P1.2 Working With Adults
- P1.3 Out of school learning
- P1.4 SEN and Science
- P1.5 Sustainable Development and Citizenship
- P1.6 History and Philosophy of Science Education
Teaching: Monitoring and Assessment
- P4.1 Misconceptions and naive ideas of children - how we learn science
- P4.2 Active Learning
- P4.3 Use of ICT in Science
- P4.4 Laboratory Safety and Behaviour Management