“Supercytes” FREE Teacher Training event - Edinburgh
“Supercytes - the immune cell Standoff” is a fun University of Edinburgh game-based resource for teachers and students focused on the cells involved in inflammation, immunology and infectious diseases.
Free interactive workshop for Primary 6/7 teachers and Secondary school science teachers (regardless of school location)
Refreshments provided from 16:00
£10 Travel allowance available on attendance
- hands on experience learning to use the Supercytes card games
- hear our research scientists deliver the immunology & inflammation presentation
- ask questions about the science
- secure your free resource pack of games, worksheets, cartoons etc
Recent teacher testimonials
"There was very little need for teacher prep. The pack was comprehensive and easy to use. I will use this resource again next year.”
"I know this will change learning in the classroom."
"The resources are professional looking and I envisage captivating for students."
"I really like it. A novel approach to a complex area of Biology."
"Fun but at the same time educational. Hits numeracy buttons as well."
"There were multi-level approaches and accessibility for a variety of students of various literacy and numeracy levels."
"Lots of scope to use creatively in an interdisciplinary topic."
Interested, but can’t attend the training?
All the resources are free to Edinburgh and Lothians schools
(and to all teachers who’ve attending the training, regardless of location)
So you can apply for your free copy even if you can’t attend!
Outside the free zone?
Supercytes resources are freely downloadable from anywhere with hard copies available to buy at production price
The Supercytes resource pack
- Designed by medical research scientists from the University of Edinburgh Centre for Inflammation Research for use in schools
- Have fun with biology and encourage an early interest in science.
- Different formats for students aged 9-18
- Introduce younger learners to white blood cells and how our bodies fight infection
- Support older students learning basic immunology and inflammation biology
- Integrated into the Scottish Curriculum for Excellence
- Card game “Supercytes: the immune cell standoff” and instructions
- Animated cartoons featuring engaging immune cell characters
- Presentation “Introduction to Inflammation and Immunology”
- Worksheets, Quiz and feedback forms
- Suggested lesson plans
This event is free, but limited to one teacher per school, and places will be allocated on a “first come first served” basis
To apply to attend, please email Sheila.Marshall@ed.ac.uk with:
- your name
- your email address
- the name and address of the school you teach at
- the age group and topic that you teach
Queen's Medical Research Institute
University of Edinburgh