The Association for Science Education
  1. Home
  2. Membership
  3. Reclaim tax on your professional membership

Reclaim tax on your professional membership

You are entitled to tax relief on your ASE Membership, which means you can claim tax of 20% back.

Tax relief on professional membership is worth 20% to a basic rate taxpayer and we want to encourage all eligible members to reclaim the tax to which they are entitled. If you have not claimed previously, you may be able to make a claim for the last six years. 

The Association for Science Education in on the HMRC approved professional organisations list on under "Science Education, The Association of".

The general information below outlines the HMRC guidance and how to make a claim. To make an enquiry about the membership subsciptions you have paid please contact the membership team

How to claim tax back

You need to make a claim with HMRC directly. ASE can not do this on your behalf. Please note if you're self-employed different guidance will apply.

Find out how to claim tax relief

General Information

How the system works - Tax relief for professional fees and subscriptions

As an employee you may be able to reduce your tax bill by getting tax relief on any professional fees and subscriptions you pay. You can go back several years to get the relief – the time you have depends on whether you have previously sent in a Self Assessment tax return.

When you can get tax relief for professional fees and subscriptions

It may be that in order to do your job you need to have your name included on a professional register or to have a special licence. Or it could be that it is very helpful to belong to an organisation whose activities are necessary to your work. Either way, you will pay registration fees or membership subscriptions – usually annually. You may be able to deduct the cost of these from your taxable income and reduce the amount of tax you pay.You may get tax relief on professional fees and subscriptions if:

  • you have registered, obtained a licence or become a member of the organisation in question, because it is necessary to your work
  • HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has approved the organisation of which you are a member (check the list of HMRC approved organisations
When you are not entitled to tax relief
  • You cannot get tax relief on any fees and subscriptions that you pay to an organisation that HMRC has not approved.
  • You will not be entitled to tax relief on a life membership subscription 
  • If you have not paid for the allowable professional fees and subscriptions yourself; for example, if your employer has paid them and has agreed a 'dispensation' with HMRC