ASE Book of the Year Award 2023
ASE Book of the Year is back for 2023 and we can't wait to read all of your wonderful publications again this year.
The award is designed to celebrate science writing that educates and inspires science learners and educators of all ages. We are seeking books:
- with engaging content
- that go that extra mile and support our vision of "science for all"
- that can supplement a teacher’s understanding or be something that goes beyond the traditional science curriculum
- that sparks a child's interest away from the classroom
The publication submitted can be popular science or an educational resource. The review panel will be looking for books that are engaging, accessible and high quality. Each title will be evaluated by an expert, independent review panel drawn from our extensive pool of members.
The award is presented at our Annual Conference in January and aims to raise the profile of science publishing and showcase the best authors. The winner of the ASE Book of the Year will be invited to host a book signing at ASE Annual Conference, giving them the opportunity to celebrate and share their book with a community of science educators and professionals.
Shortlisted authors for this year's award will be offered a free day to attend the ASE Annual Conference, so they can be present for the presentation of the award, it is a wonderful opportunity to meet like-minded science educators and listen to key speakers.
SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR 2023
Please contact Laura Townsend, Publications Manager if you have any further questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Criteria for title submission:
- The science content must be accurate and up to date
- The publication needs to be considered useful to teachers of science
- Textbooks and exam board-specific material will not be accepted
- It must have been published in the period from 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023
- Books must be submitted written in the English language
- 8 physical copies of the book must be provided to ASE for review (details on the submission form)
- Unfortunately NO eBooks can be accepted
- You must be able to grant permission for ASE to resell this title (subject to terms)
- You must also be able to grant ASE a 50% reseller discount on the publication
- Any queries should be sent to: email@example.com
- By submitting to the ASE Book of the Year you are agreeing to the above criteria and terms
- The Panel's decision on the eligibility of an entry is final.
- Entries must be made by the publisher of the book
- Entries must have an English language version published between 1 July 2022 and 30 June 2023.
- There is no restriction on the location of publishers. There are no restrictions on the nationality, age or any other characteristic of the author/s.
- Publishers may submit up to 5 entries.
- There is no charge to enter.
- The author/s of the book will be the recipient of the award.
- Books must be submitted by the publisher and any submission will be taken as agreement for the work to be considered.
- The publishers must be able to give the ASE permission to sell the title through their online bookshop and at events; terms and conditions to be agreed.
- The review panel is appointed by the ASE. The judge’s decision is final.
- In the event of a book being shortlisted for the Award, publishers agree that they will supply a book synopsis, author biography, photograph of the author and book cover (licensed for royalty-free use and distribution).
- The winning authors should be able to participate at the ASE Annual Conference 2023 at the Sheffield Hallam University dates TBC (typically first week on January) .
- Publishers will be allowed to acknowledge the Award in subsequent reprints, editions and marketing of shortlisted and winning books.
- No books submitted will be returned to the publishers.
- The Award has no monetary value.
Last year's winner
We are delighted to announce the winner of ASE Book of Year 2022 is...
Winner of ASE Book of the Year 2022:
Our Time on Earth: From the Mayfly to the Immortal Jellyfish
by Lily Murray (Illustrated by Jesse Hodgson)
This book gives a wonderful insight into animal lifespans, from the mayfly (with the shortest lifespan of a few hours) and ending with the immortal jellyfish. The author uses lyrical and descriptive text against a backdrop of gentle artwork to create a very moving book that should be a staple in every home, classroom and library. This book is a celebration of life and gives an absolutely fascinating account of creatures’ habitats, features and habits. This book absolutely deserves the title of ASE book of the Year 2023 and huge congratulations to Lily Murray and Jesse Hodgson for Our Time on Earth, a beautifully crafted book.
Highly Commended for ASE Book of the Year 2022:
by Barbara Taylor (Illustrated by Margaux Carpentier)
This is a stunning book which gives the reader a unique glimpse inside 21 animals to see how their skeletons, organs, nerves and muscles fit together. It is an absolute treat for the senses and is one of those books that you cannot put down as each page is superbly illustrated and full of fascinating facts. Children will love learning about the zoology of the animals that are included in its pages.
Below is the short list for ASE Book of the Year 2022
Below is the short list for ASE Book of the Year 2021
Below is the short list for ASE Book of the Year 2020
Below is the short list for ASE Book of the Year 2019
Below is the short list for ASE Book of the Year 2018
Below is the short list for ASE Book of the Year 2017
Below is the short list for ASE Book of the Year 2016