ASE Book of the Year Award
The award is designed to celebrate science writing that educates and inspires science learners and educators of all ages. We are seeking books that go that extra mile and support our vision of ‘science for all’. The book could supplement a teacher’s understanding or be something that goes beyond the traditional science curriculum and sparks a child's interest away from the classroom.
The award is presented at our Annual Conference in January and aims to raise the profile of science publishing and showcase the best authors. The winner of ASE Book of the Year will be invited to host a book signing at ASE Annual conference, giving them the opportunity to celebrate and share their book to a community of science educators and professionals.
The publication submitted can be popular science or an educational resource. The review panel will be looking for books that are engaging, accessible and high quality. Each title will be evaluated by an expert, independent review panel drawn from our extensive pool of members.
Please contact Laura Townsend, Head of Booksales if you have any further questions: email@example.com
Closing date for submissions: 3rd July 2022
Criteria for title submission:
- The science content must be accurate and up to date
- The publication needs to be considered useful to teachers of science
- Textbooks and exam board specific material will not be accepted
- It must have been published in the period from 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022
- Books must be submitted in the English Language
- 6 physical copies of the book must be provided to ASE for review (details on submission form)
- Unfortunately NO eBooks can be accepted
- You must be able to grant permission for ASE to resell this title (subject to terms)
- You must also be able to grant ASE a reseller discount on the publication
- Any queries should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Panel's decision on the eligibility of an entry is final.
- There is no restriction on the location of publishers. There are no restrictions on the nationality, age or any other characteristic of the author/s.
- Publishers may submit up to 5 entries.
- There is no charge to enter.
- The author/s of the book will be the recipient of the award.
- Books must be submitted by the publisher and any submission will be taken as agreement for the work to be considered.
- The publishers must be able to give the ASE permission to sell the title through their online bookshop and at events; terms and conditions to be agreed.
- The review panel is appointed by the ASE. The judge’s decision is final.
- In the event of a book being shortlisted for the Award, publishers agree that they will supply a book synopsis, author biography, photograph of the author and book cover (licensed for royalty-free use and distribution).
- The winning authors should be able to participate at the ASE Annual Conference 2023 at the Sheffield Hallam University dates TBC (typically first week on January) .
- Publishers will be allowed to acknowledge the Award in subsequent reprints, editions and marketing of shortlisted and winning books.
- No books submitted will be returned to the publishers.
- The Award has no monetary value.
Below is the short list for ASE Book of the Year 2021
Below is the short list for ASE Book of the Year 2020
Below is the short list for ASE Book of the Year 2019
Below is the short list for ASE Book of the Year 2018
Below is the short list for ASE Book of the Year 2017
Below is the short list for ASE Book of the Year 2016