ASE was formed in 1963 by the merger of the Science Master's Association (SMA) and the Association of Women Science Teachers (AWST), but its origins date back to 1900 with a letter written by four science masters from Eton College proposing a conference for Science Masters in Public Schools. The first Annual Meeting of this association was held in January 1901.This led to the formation of the Association of Public School Science Masters. The history of the ASE can be found in the book “Interpreters of Science” by David Layton.
Incorporated by Royal Charter in October 2004, the ASE operates as a Registered Charity.
The history of the ASE can be found in two publications: Interpreters of Science by David Layton and, published to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the association, Advancing Science Education: the first fifty years of the Association for Science Education, Edited by Edgar Jenkins and Valerie Wood-Robinson.
Our former Patron of the Association was HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, KG, PC, KT, GMBE, FRS.