In 2011 a bamboo bicycle designed by two lecturers at Oxford Brookes University was displayed at the National Cycle Show in Birmingham. They tested the bikes in a TransAlp race, riding from Germany to Italy.
- To talk about the properties of bamboo.
- To decide what observations and measurements to make when investigating a specific property of bamboo.
- To use their observations to give reasons for using bamboo.
Children will learn:
- About the properties of bamboo
- To give reasons why bamboo is a suitable material for a bicycle frame
These resources were initially developed in partnership with the Centre for Science Education, Sheffield Hallam University.