In this activity children advise Virgin Galactic managers about the conditions the celebs will encounter during their trip.
Virgin Galactic are planning the world's first tourist flight into space. It's quite pricey at £120,000, so the first passengers will be rich celebrities. The stars of Star Trek and Aliens have already signed up to follow their film characters into space!
Children advise Virgin Galactic managers about the conditions the celebs will encounter during their trip and the forces acting on them and their craft.
- Weight is a force and is measured in newtons
- That the weight of the celebrity will be different in space and on Earth.
Children will learn:
- To describe situations in which there is more than one force acting on an object and to draw diagrams to illustrate them
- To describe and explain the motion of the rocket in terms of the forces acting on it.
- Or identify weight as a force and recognise that more than one force can act on an object.
These resources were initially developed in partnership with the Centre for Science Education, Sheffield Hallam University.