Winter's here and if we're lucky we may have snow - or not… But we can make snowmen all year round if we know how.
Children will dissolve salt in water to make a saturated solution. They will investigate the effect of the rate of evaporation on the size of salt crystals they grow.
- that salt dissolves in water
Children will learn:
- that when no more salt will dissolve in water it is known as a saturated solution
- that water will evaporate from a salt solution to leave salt behind
- that the size of the salt crystals grown depends on the rate of evaporation
- that heat makes a solution evaporate faster
These resources were initially developed in partnership with the Centre for Science Education, Sheffield Hallam University.