Registered Scientist (RSci)

Have you improved as a teacher since you began? Have you got a science degree, qualified teacher status and been teaching for a minimum of two years? Have you considered applying for a Registered Scientist  Award (RSci)? RSci is a formal stepping stone to show improvement in your standard from qualifying and is available as a benefit of ASE membership. 

Registered Scientist is a registered mark recognising excellence in science teaching and learning. We are licensed by the Science Council to award RSci to eligible members. If you are not yet a member of ASE, you can join online. RSci applicants must be active in science teaching and learning in the UK or overseas. This includes teachers in all state and independent schools, colleges and universities, as well as advisers, inspectors, consultants and researchers.


Talking about my RSci award really focussed me when preparing for interview, ensuring that I had already reflected on my CPD


The designation of RSci benefits all those concerned with science teaching as a profession.

For you

  • Provides a pathway to become a Chartered Science Teacher
  • Provides recognition of your expertise, experience and commitment
  • Provides a framework to support your future career development
  • Provides wider recognition for your skills 
  • Demonstrates your commitment to employers, colleagues and clients
  • Creates a broader community of scientists working across a huge range of sectors and disciplines

For others

RSci is of value to:

  • Employers, who can be confident of the quality of a prospective employee
  • Government departments seeking to appoint advisers or consultants, which can be assured about the professional practice of an applicant
  • Regulatory Authorities, which can be confident in specifying the designation in Acts of Parliament and regulations
  • Parents, governors and other members of society who can be more confident in the competence of an individual


To be eligible to apply for RSci you must:

  • Have individual ASE membership (you cannot apply for RSci if you are only part of a school or corporate membership, you will need an individual ASE membership to proceed with applying for RSci) 
  • Hold a QCF Level 5 qualification. For example a Foundation Degree, Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) or Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • Be able to demonstrate the following key competencies:
    • Application of knowledge and understanding
    • Personal responsibility
    • Interpersonal skills
    • Professional practice
    • Professional standards
  • Agree to an annual CPD review
  • Agree to the Code of Conduct of the licensed body (ASE) 

How to apply

Step 1. 

Full application (£50) For teachers and technicians 

or send cheque payable to 'The Association for Science Education' with your application form.

Step 2

Form tip: Use the guidance notes on the right hand side of the form and add the text required which is highlighted in bold.

Step 3

Your application will be reviewed at the next appropriate Registration Board. You may be asked for additional evidence or clarification at any stage in the application process.

Upcoming deadlines by midday on : 

  • 8th April 2021 registrants will be confirmed after the Board meet on 23rd April 2021
  • 8th July 2021 registrants will be confirmed after the Board meet on 23rd  July 2021

There is a £25 annual fee to maintain registered status. This will be added to your ASE membership renewal.


Please get in touch if you need any help with your application, including informal feedback on your draft application, please contact

Maintaining your registered status

Registered Scientists are required to continually maintain and update their professional expertise and competence. A selection will be required to complete the review form in October/November, but they will be notified by email.

Step 1

Alternatively you can pay by direct debit with your membership or over the phone.

Case Study

Dr Bernie Major RSci

"I applied for the award to gain some external recognition for the various teaching and learning activities I have undertaken and also to highlight the importance of continuing professional development to science teachers."


I live and work outside of the UK, can I still apply for this award?

Yes. There is no restriction on international members making an application for this award. We will assess equivalency with regards to your qualifications. Please note that all supporting documents need to be provided in an English Language format. You will need to provide translations if the original documents are in any other language.